Statement of Background
Paul A. Lewis began his academic career by earning a Bachelor of Science in Political Science from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He then earned a Master of Arts from Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia, and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering from South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota. Paul began his work career in the military eventually transitioning into engineering and law. His past responsibilities have included risk assessment, six sigma, quality control and design, statistical modeling, and project management.
A non-traditional student, Paul graduated from the University of South Dakota, School of Law in 2005. He then clerked for Judge Warren G. Johnson for one year until forming his own law practice, where his practice areas include civil and criminal litigation, estate planning, contract and business law. In addition to the law, Paul enjoys adventure racing, traveling, mountain biking, and snowshoeing.
- Juris Doctor, 2005 – University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota.
- Summer Study, 2004 – Trinity College, College of Law, Dublin, Ireland.
LICENSURE & MEMBERSHIPS
- Licensed in South Dakota, eligible for licensure in Nebraska.
- South Dakota Bar Association.
- American Bar Association.
- Trial Lawyers Association.
- Lewis at Law; Sole Proprietorship; Paul A. Lewis; Attorney at Law, Rapid City, SD September 2006 to present.
- Law Clerk; Fourth Judicial Circuit Court, Deadwood, SD. Ausust 2005 – July 2006
- Review cases by conducting legal research, reporting on the admissibility of evidence, statutory interpretation, and regulatory practices.
- Draft civil and criminal litigation documents, prepare jury instructions, memoranda, opinions and court orders for judges based on case facts and in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Lawrence County Teen Court Judge.
- Summer Internship; Irish Aviation Commission,Dublin 2, Ireland
- Restructured the Aviation Commission’s air carrier operator’s licensing process.
- Assisted in the implementation of new airline security regulations as directed by the European Union Commission.
- Researched critical issues pertaining to the Irish rules of discovery regarding civil matters.
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering, 1999 – South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, South Dakota.
- Master of Arts in International Affairs, 1996 – Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- Bachelor of Science in International Relations, 1987 – United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Federal Air Marshal, Transportation Security Agency, Denver, Co., 2001-2002. Implemented post 9/11 counter-terrorism initiatives, provided for the safety and security of the traveling public.
- Operations Engineer, Ramvac, Spearfish, SD, 2000-2001. Administered and executed prototype development, testing, and compliance with ISO 9001-2000 for the manufacture of medical equipment. Worked with production manager and technical services manager in creating and reviewing test specifications, bill of materials, production techniques, and vendor specifications. Evaluated design and cost of current and newly developed products.
- Japan Program Operations Manager, Raytheon Electronic Systems Company, Tucson, AZ, 1999-2000. Coordinated production, engineering, and customer interface. Acted as an on-site field representative handling quality and delivery problems for aerospace projects.
- Project Manager, Fisher Controls International Inc., Marshalltown, IA, 1998-1999. Managed on-time product delivery and customer satisfaction for large multi-national projects.
- International Project Manager, US Air Force, Naha City, Japan, 1993-1995. Supervised international projects for cooperative multi-national training and led an international crisis response team.
- Domestic Project Manager, US Air Force, Tacoma, WA, 1990-1993. Responsible for large-scale logistical movements, relocation, and led an international crisis response team.
- Westlaw research.
- Microsoft Office products, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Front Page, SmartDraw Legal 2007, LexisNexis CaseMap/TImeMap/NoteMap Software, QuickBooks Pro 2006, and Arena Simulation Software.